The Wendell Falls community is expected to have more than 4000 residences and 2,000,000 square feet of commercial once completed. One of the major issues facing the neighborhood currently is the speed on some of the residential streets. I believe this is due to the vast width of some of the streets. Big Falls Drive for example is over 30′ wide in sections.
A countermeasure to the speeding would be to add 4-way stop signs – which the town is working on – as well as the addition of bike lanes.
Wider road lanes give the illusion of being wide and open which induce higher speeds. Bringing the lanes down to 10′ or 11′ by restriping for bike lanes will encourage lower speeds, providing safe access for biking, scootering, and even golf carting to and from the commercial sections of the neighborhood.
Take a detailed, interactive look at the plan by clicking on the GoogleMap below.
Taking a deeper look at the proposal:
- Add Striped Bike Lanes to Big Falls Drive from Publix to Encore
- Add Striped Bike Lanes on Elk Falls Drive – Coordination / compromise may be needed South of Lake Myra Elementary
- Add Striped Bike Lanes on the duration of Taylor Road – Coordination / compromise may be needed around the Wendell Falls Pkwy light. Sharrows may be needed East of Daniel Ridge Road.
- Add a sidewalk to Taylor Road East of the limits of Wendell Falls – I believe the Town may have a plan in place.
- Add a sidewalk to Poole Rd / Martin Pond Road within the limits of Wendell Falls – The town and developers are planning this.
- Add 4-way stops to Big Falls at Mallard Trace, Liberty Star, and Taylor Road, Daniel Ridge Road at Iron Mill Road, and Mill Station at Mallard Trace. – The town is working on analyzing 4-way stops.